“[John Doerr] is, by all accounts, the most influential venture capitalist of his generation.”
— Fast Company
Quote: Going green could be the biggest economic opportunity of the 21st century.
Some great facts he mentions in his talk
- If it were a country, Walmart would be the 6th largest trading partner with China
- The largest private employer in the U.S.
- Largest private user of electricity
- Fleet travels 1B miles per year
- They sold 65M CFLs last year
Why so much Ethanol in Brazil
The government mandated that all new vehicles would be flex fuel compatible and that every gas station in the country would carry ethanol.
- 29,000 ethanol pumps in the Brazil vs. 700 in the U.S.
- Their car fleet is 85% flex fuel compared to 5% in the U.S.
- Saved 32M tons of CO2 (about 10% of all emissions for the country)
- 1.3% of world’s CO2 emissions